Thursday, May 13, 2010

Memorial Coliseum

Early on in my life I felt differently about seeing old buildings torn down. I watched the old Alice High School building demolished. I watched some of my old elementary schools torn down to make way for the newer, more modern educational edifices. It hurt not being able to gaze at the old buildings and reminisce about the days I spent there. It bothered me just knowing that the building was no longer there.
Now it's all different. Aside from the shocker I got when I drove by William Adams Junior High School and seeing nothing left of the old school. (That was a f**ing sad and surreal feeling. Because I had no, absolutely no idea the old complex was going to be destroyed.) Aside from that I don't have any expectation of anything lasting. That has always been an axiom for time in memorial. But, I guess for me, it has really hit home. It has ceased to be just a saying and has become a reality for me. A way of life so to speak. It may have a lot to do with personal experiences and most recently taking 2 geology classes. After studying various aspects of how our planet got here, it has become crystal clear that we as human beings are superfluous in the grand scheme of things. We will all die. If we make it to a time were we can inhabit another celestial body, we may have a chance to survive. But, that's not likely. The most a species has ever made it is 10million years. So, buildings of any kind don't really concern me anymore. Progress in our lifetime is inevitable. But in the end everything we see and build will be destroyed and metamorphized by our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment